Sotterley Plantation is an historic landmark plantation house located at 44300 Sotterley Lane in Hollywood, St. Mary's County, Maryland, USA. It is a long 1 1⁄2-story, nine-bay frame building, covered with wide, beaded clapboard siding and wood shingle roof, overlooking the Patuxent River. Also on the property are a sawn-log slave quarters of c. 1830, an 18th-century brick warehouse, and an early-19th-century brick meat house. Farm buildings include an early-19th-century corn crib and an array of barns and work buildings from the early 20th century. Opened to the public in 1961, it was once the home of George Plater (1735–1792), the sixth Governor of Maryland, and Herbert L. Satterlee (1863-1947), a New York business lawyer and son-in-law of J.P. Morgan.Source: Wikipedia, 2016/04/13.
The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. Sotterley was declared a National Historic Landmark in 2000.
The mission of Sotterley Plantation, a National Historic Landmark, is to preserve, research, & interpret Sotterley Plantation’s diverse cultures & environments, & to serve the world as an educational, cultural, & community resource. Historic Sotterley, Inc. is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) public charity organization.
ECP's research on Sotterley related to the escape of slaves to the British in 1813/14 and a question as to where the boundary lines of Sotterley plantation actually lay on the ground and to what extent they now lay in the waters of Sotterley Creek. This led to the discovery of the original surveyor's plat and rough draft of that plat made in 1828 for the division of the Barber estate.